Emerging Curator Mentorship Residency
The Regional Cultural Centre and Glebe House and Gallery welcome applications from Irish-based emerging visual art curators. The programme is designed to assist in the professional development of the successful candidate by offering them valuable mentorship opportunities from leading curators, direct experience in curating professional exhibitions, and opportunities to engage with contemporary artists and art professionals from throughout County Donegal.
The successful candidate will receive both online and in-person mentorship from leading Irish curators and develop a multi-venue exhibition and education programme using works from the Arts Council Collection and a number of Donegal based contemporary artists. The exhibition will take place in October & November 2022 at the RCC and Glebe Gallery.
The candidate can be based anywhere in Ireland but will need to travel to Donegal to undertake exhibition preparation work, oversee the install of the exhibition, and make several studio visits to Donegal based contemporary artists. The RCC can provide a studio/office space for the successful candidate if requested.
February – October 2022
Programme Timeline (subject to change)
Initial meetings with RCC & Glebe Gallery.
Meeting with Arts Council collection team.
March – April
Meeting Donegal Art Teachers Association
Finalising artworks needed from Arts Council collection.
May – June
Developing education and audience development programmes to accompany exhibition.
Studio visits – Donegal Contemporary Artists
July – September
Finalise design of education & development programmes for exhibition.
Oversee install of exhibition.
Assist RCC Marketing Manager in the marketing of exhibition.
Trish Lambe – Director & Curator of Gallery of Photography, Ireland.
Mary Cremin – Director & Curator of VOID Gallery, Derry.
Johanne Mullan – Curator: Collections, Irish Museum of Modern Art.
Adrian Kelly – Director & Curator of Glebe House & Gallery, Donegal.
Jeremy Howard – Acting Director & Curator of Regional Cultural Centre.
Judith McCarthy – Curator of Donegal County Museum.
Curator Fee (including expenses)
€7,000 (Northern Ireland based curators may be subject to Foreign Artist VAT)
The curator in residence will work on a freelance basis and will invoice Donegal County Council in three stages
Who can Apply?
The successful applicant should have:
- a degree in fine art or an associated field
- Knowledge and experience of contemporary visual arts in Ireland and beyond
- An understanding of the issues facing visual artists in developing their practice
- demonstrable curatorial experience (albeit limited experience)
- have proven project management skills (albeit limited experience)
- Proven ability to build relationships with artists, communities and existing and new audiences
How to Apply:
Please forward the following information on PDF or Word Document to email@example.com
- Maximum 500-word statement/letter of interest outlining your curatorial approach and how the exhibition will engage with Donegal audiences.
- Maximum 300-word statement outlining how the opportunity would benefit professional development as a curator.
- A current CV, please include details/images of previously curated exhibitions
- Two professional referees
Monday 31st January – 6pm